Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Knitting in Canadia





On the way to Halifax, I decided to make a hat for myself with the same pattern as Neil's new hat. I used a white, purple, and pink variegated cotton and knit it for part of the 12-hour drive to Nova Scotia, to visit with Nicholas' (The guy I was travelling with, my best friend) friends from University, and to go to his 3rd Annual Sangria Party. His roomate Norm makes the red wine for the Sangria, and it always comes out fantastic.

During the party, I was informed that Norman's girlfriend, Natalie, is an avid knitter as well.
(Then Natalie told me that Norman knows how to knit...convenient that he left himself out...) She showed me this beautiful lace shawl she made, and told me which yarn shop to stop by before leaving the city.

I've been home for over a day now, and I'm still winding up my new yarn from L K Yarns in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Nick and I waited to get on the road on Monday morning so I could hit up the yarn shop before leaving the city, and it didn't open until 10 am.

The woman in the shop was very nice, and helped me find local-made yarns. I bought four skeins of Briggs and Little's Regal worsted weight from New Brunswick. The color variety was very wide, and I ended up with Turqois, Violet, Fundy Fog, and Oatmeal for colors. I also bought a beautiful hand-dyed yarn in pastel colors from Fleece Artist. It reminds me of rainbow sherbet.
It's a very fuzzy yarn, and when I wound it, the fibers kept sticking to my nose and mouth and getting on my clothes (although I'm sure the wind coming in the truck window was not helping).
So now I have new yarns, and no new project. The yarn was so inexpensive, I was surprised. The Briggs and Little was $4.75 and skein Canadian, about $3.89 American. The Fleece Artist yarn however was about $24 American.
In hindsight, I should probably have gotten six more skeins of Briggs and Little instead of the hand-painted yarn, so that I would have had enough for a large project. But I never plan ahead like that when I'm yarn shopping.
So now I am off to dream about what my fibers will become...
Ciao!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hopefully your hat won't walk away!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Nice site! My wife and I will be heading to Nova Scotia for a small vacation in December. That is, a small vacation/fiber acquisiting trip! Thanks for posting links to various places for yarn and fiber.