Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Commissioned Hat, Mulled Wine Sweater, and Loop-d-Loop

As I was showing off my One Skein Wonder recently, I got two requests: a OSW for a goth-y girl at The Tap and one for a grey and black hat for Mike, also from The Tap, bf of my co-worker Linz. I'm working on the hat now, and simultaneously planning a sweater with my new batch of yarn from Knit Picks. I bought 12 skeins of the Wool of the Andes in Mulled Wine to make a raglan-sleeve cable sweater. I found a couple of patterns that I like, but nothing I love. I've taken my measurements, and I might just write the pattern myself. I want the decreases on the raglan seam to be cabled too, so I have to incorporate that part. I'm going to make up a decreasing swatch to see how it works.
Why am I such a technical knit geek?
I'm just glad to be working on new projects.
I got a new job recently, so I may not be able to knit as much as I would like to in the fall, especially with classes coming up and everything. Pictures soon.

On a trip to Barnes and Noble looking for a pattern for the sweater, I ended up with a copy of Teva Durham's new book Loop-d-Loop. I love the patterns. Her techniques are really different and cool. I love the woven scarf/wrap. The photographs are beautiful, and the book is broken up into four sections so that each one has a introduction with just pictures and descriptions of the patterns, and then a second part of the sections has the pattern instructions, accompanied with more photographs, so the book isn't front half pictures and back half instructions. I would suggest this book for any knitter who's looking for something out-of-the-ordinary.

No comments: