Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Kufi

Sean, my boyfriend's coworker has been asking me for a knit kufi with a pentagram on top for I think almost a year now. Since Kufis are traditionally a middle-eastern style hat, there aren't many patterns for them, and on top of that, I found absolutely none with a pentagram. It took me a few months to work out a plan for the pattern. Initially I was just going to use a plain skullcap pattern, and then embroider a pentagram pattern on top. Then I found this pentagram online, with the geometric angles on it.
I printed it out and snipped into the circle, bent it, and taped it into a 3D figure. Then I wrote on it where I thought the increases and decreases should go. I knit it top down and used six size 5 needles so that I had one needle for each of the 5 parts of the pentagram and one to work with. It was a little difficult to keep track of increases and decreases for each round. I wish I had written out the pattern while I was knitting it... I guess I'll have to knit another one in order to write the pattern.

Once I had the pentagram worked into a circle, I decreased five stiches, one at each point where the pentagon meets the circle edge, and then continued in 2x2 rib for the edge. I think it came out very good considering...

No comments: