Thursday, September 29, 2005

The piece that is no more

I woke up, went to the drier, and there it was.
My very first finished knit garment: a red merino wool wrap sweater from Hollywood Knits 2.
Shrunken.

It took me all day to get through the denial.
It took me four and a half months to finish.
It took me fifteen minutes to explain how much work went into it to my aunt, who had accidentally put it into the washing machine on warm water.

It took me another five to finish crying.

R.I.P wrap sweater,
I do not have a picture of thee,
but you will hopefully make a small child very warm this winter...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nat said...

oh elaine, i feel so bad for you.
my mom once shrank these great striped socks i spent forever knitting her and i cried. i think everyone who doesn't knit should be forced to take a "washing knitted garments" class or something.
natalie
i just started my own blog- knitalie.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh - that is heartbreaking!

katrina said...

I would have cried for much longer than 5 minutes...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.